can anyone help with questions on fowl pox

Doodle_Doo

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Missouri City, TX
i have three silver phoenix hens about 14 months old and have been very healty no problems very lively girls
but i have about a week since wednesday last week on august 11 i noticed a small bump on one hen..i didnt think much since they are with 8 production red chicks i just thought she got pecked..but now her face is all covered in bumps and one eye almost covered by the bumps now a second one has signs of this happening ad the third has only one bump too right where the first had it to start..
they are the only with it the chicks show no signs of it..i dont think it is because of bad higiene the coop is cleaed every saturday and washed down let dry and the girls are allowed to go free range till im done..the second coop also has no signs of these sysmptoms
nor the rooster they were with..the rooster has been removed and the chicks left outside only those three girls are in that coop till i can find a solution..i have cleaned them and passed some hydrogen peroxide to help prevent some further infection since saturday but no good..
here are some pics of how there are right now..
PTDC0007-1.jpg
she is the least affected one small bump on the tip of the nose

PTDC0006-2.jpg
second hen more covered but not as bad

PTDC0003-2.jpg

PTDC0005-2.jpg
and this is the one most affected with this..

Last edited:
wow alot on it..i did search fowl pox and it does show to be similar..but it says that it will go away in a several weeks? can they die from this?
also i see vaccines are available..are they for birds who havent gotten it? or can it also be used on birds like these hens that already have it?
i still have 20 young chicks at about 2 months close to these hens but not in direct contact...should i purchase the vaccine for them and use it throughly on all the birds to help future problems? and also do you know if i would need a vet to administer the vaccine or can i do it here at home?

No, they cant die from it just as long as it's dry pox and not wet pox. Normally it takes about 30 days for it to go away. You can give the vaccine to birds that dont have it, but fowl pox is contageous and if you give the vaccine to a bird that has it, it can kill the bird. You can administer the vaccine yourself. TSC might have it or First State Vet supply, not sure. Once the fowl pox has run its course, your birds will be immune to it. You can put iodine on the lesions, that will help dry them up. The scabs will eventually fall off onto the ground and they are highly infective. I suggest you read up on how to vaccinate if that is your intentions, I've never done it before. I've just let the virus run its course til it disappeared. Good luck.

My flock had fowl pox last fall; most had the dry form but a few had the wet form and got really sick from it. The avian veterinarian from the agricultural extension service advised me to vaccinate every bird that did not show signs yet to help prevent the spread of it through the flock.

My flock of turkeys developed fowl pox last fall. Funny, the chickens that were in and out of the turkey pen were fine, and the toms seemed to get it worse than the hens. I put baby vitamins, acidophoilus, Vit e and baby asprin in their water for a couple of weeks. (I guessed at the quanity per bird, erring on the short side). Mixed all those together and added to the water. It works best if you add it to a small amount of water so they drink it all first, then let them have plain water the rest of the day.
I don't know if it helped or it, but it made me feel better.
smile.png

The turkeys looked awful for quite a while, but made a full recovery. By the time I butchered some of them about 6 weeks later, the was no sign of the pox. I tell people my turkeys had chicken pox.
big_smile.png

wow i was really worried since i had never seen this it would be fatal and would wipe out everything..
of what i have read they have dry pox nothing in their throats or nasal passeges just on the outside in the
non feathered areas..i got my bro to get some iodine and put some on the affected areas..if everyone says it
will go away in a few weeks i can calm down and just watch over them..also this i know is a dumb question but one this has passed in a month or so will they still have the bump of will they go back to how they use to be their faces no signs of this happening?
thank you all for the responses and help and thank you dawg53 for helping me out identifing this
reall calmed me down

Back
Top Bottom