Can anyone identify breed and sex?

N0rthernChicks

Chirping
May 3, 2016
Foster, RI
My Coop
My Coop
We are acquiring a turkey from a family member that is moving and can no longer keep their poultry flock. It was an accidental turkey that came with their chicken chicks a few months ago so they don’t know what it is. It is about 5 months old. I know absolutely nothing about turkeys so this will be a new adventure for us.

Attachments

• CB5A7B25-1262-4AEB-9327-1048F47485D9.jpeg
    CB5A7B25-1262-4AEB-9327-1048F47485D9.jpeg
    654.3 KB · Views: 18
We are acquiring a turkey from a family member that is moving and can no longer keep their poultry flock. It was an accidental turkey that came with their chicken chicks a few months ago so they don’t know what it is. It is about 5 months old. I know absolutely nothing about turkeys so this will be a new adventure for us.
The breed is Turkey. The variety is Broad Breasted White aka Giant White.

If it is 5 months old, it is a hen. Don't get attached to it. This variety was developed as a meat bird to be processed by about 6 months old.

Those that people try to keep as pets can develop leg and heart problems at an early age.

Wait............I'm so confused now 🤯. I thought the species was turkey, the breed was BBW. Can you pls explain? With chickens it'd be Species: chicken, breed: Cochin, Variety: Black mottled, correct? Is it different with turkeys?
How the term breed is used is different for many species. The APA only recognizes the breed Turkey. They recognize 8 different varieties of the breed Turkey. There are many more varieties possible but there does not as yet seem to be enough interest to get new varieties listed.

The APA recognizes breeds of chickens, ducks and geese. They only recognize the breed Turkey for turkeys and the breed Helmeted Guinea Fowl for guineas.

So it's less natural classification, more apa standards youre referring to.
APA is currently the final say when it comes to poultry. The term breed is used in so many different ways that current dictionaries will not give even give it a proper definition. The cattle industry uses it one way. The dog registries use it a different way.

All turkeys except for the Ocellated turkey are the same species. They all come from the same haploid group so there is a valid reason for the APA to consider them all one breed. There is far less genetic differentiation among turkeys than there is among chickens.

Back
Top Bottom