Can anyone identify these breeds?

NilaP

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Can anyone identify these breeds? I'm thinking about getting some but would like to research them first. Also does anyone know the temperament of them?
I have 2 New Hampshire reds, 2 Plymouth rocks and a Buff Orphington all but one are very mellow birds. would they mix well? And would I have to do anything in particular to introduce the new birds to the old birds (the new ones are 2-3 mo and the old ones are 7mo old)

They looks like Old English Game bantam mixes, maybe with some Sumatra in them (accounting for the darker skin). In response to your question, yes, they are chickens!
smile.png

They look like game bird (Old English Game American Game, etc.) mixes. They are of not particular variety, though the first one slightly resembles a Golden Duckwing Old English Game, and the second one slightly resembles a Brassy Back Old English Game. If not game mixes, they are definitely mixes of several breeds of chickens, or are some sort of rare breed that I know nothing about.

Game birds can be aggressive to eachother (especially the males), but they are generally tame around humans. The hens lay rather small numbers of eggs, go broody often, and make excellent, protective mothers. Game birds are very hardy, and if abandoned will go feral easily and survive on their own. Both sexes are generally good fliers.

They look like mixed breed roosters, probably with some game in them. Games are not the most laid back of chickens, and are you really wanting a rooster? If you've not been around roosters before, I'd advise not starting with game birds. Something more docile like an Orp or a braham, cochin, etc are good starter breeds for roosters.

We didn't get the roosters because we're not allowed to have them in our city limits but we did get two of the hens (the black ones). I'm not sure they will work out though because even with clipped wings they can fly up to the to of our 10ft fence with ease...

We didn't get the roosters because we're not allowed to have them in our city limits but we did get two of the hens (the black ones). I'm not sure they will work out though because even with clipped wings they can fly up to the to of our 10ft fence with ease...

If you're talking about the black birds in the last pic, with the gold on the wings, those are roosters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom