Can anyone identify these chicks?

SLOhens

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 21, 2014

I have been loving this site! Thanks to all that offer up their experiences and expertise. Our broody just hatched 4/4 eggs from our neighbors "rainbow" flock. She has over 25 chickens, including Cochins, Marans, barred rocks, RIR, Orpington, and different Easter egger types. Some standard, some bantam. 2-3 different roosters, I think one is a polish something.

Here is a photo of the chicks at 5-days checking out the mealworms I gave mama. The black chick with the yellow on its wing tip also has a yellow backside and is solid black on the top of its head. The black chick with the gray backside has an irregular gray spot on the top of its head. Both are dark black down the center of their backs. The little gray baby has a yellow undercoat on its backside. The little chipmunk has some gray on its backside and wings. All have various degrees of feathering on their legs. Black chicks have black legs, gray chick has gray legs and the chipmunk has orangey legs. The black chicks came from dark brown eggs, the other two from medium brown eggs.

Does anyone have any idea on breed? Or part of a breed since I am guessing there is a lot of free love going on over there! Sorry for the blur, these babies are fast! Thanks in advance!

The grey one might be a lavender Orpington. The chipmunk patterned one could be an Easter Egger, but many breeds have the chipmunk pattern, so it's too soon to tell. The two dark one look like barred rocks, but I've never raised them so that's an uneducated guess :)

Last edited:
Chances are, if she has a mixed flock with several roosters, that these are all mixed breeds. The mostly black chicks may be Barred Rock mixes and the striped one might be an Easter Egger. Since they all have feathered feet, they probably all have either Marans or Cochin in them.

Chances are, if she has a mixed flock with several roosters, that these are all mixed breeds. The mostly black chicks may be Barred Rock mixes and the striped one might be an Easter Egger. Since they all have feathered feet, they probably all have either Marans or Cochin in them.

I agree with Wyandottes7; likely all mixed breeds.

X2

Cute chicks!

Back
Top Bottom