Can anyone identify this feather- hunting chickens

JessicaDotta

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
Hi, thanks for helping. I’ve lost two hens over the last seven months. The latest hen disappeared around 6:30 p.m.

I found her feathers in two places in my yard. I also saw a huge dark brown feather. Since then, I’ve found two more dark brown feathers. Then this morning, I found this feather outside my duck cage.

Could my predator be an owl?

Attachments

• F97B798E-83E9-4831-A227-08CBE369E8C3.jpeg
    F97B798E-83E9-4831-A227-08CBE369E8C3.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 15
Hi, thanks for helping. I’ve lost two hens over the last seven months. The latest hen disappeared around 6:30 p.m.

I found her feathers in two places in my yard. I also saw a huge dark brown feather. Since then, I’ve found two more dark brown feathers. Then this morning, I found this feather outside my duck cage.

Could my predator be an owl?
I would guess hawks and vultures are a more common possibility...

All of my pens are covered with good heavy duty netting. When I first put it up I ran short so bought some other netting and it worked for quite awhile. Eventually an owl discovered how crappy the netting was and decided it would plow through the netting and killed some birds. I put another piece up and again the owl went through it and killed some birds so I moved the birds to another coop and pen. I replaced that piece and put a camera up and the owl came back and went through the crappy netting again. In the meantime I ordered some good netting and then put it up and the owl tried to go through the netting again but this time got caught. We managed to get it into a cage and a wildlife rescue came and got it.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg
IMG_20200229_133056.jpg
I have posted these pictures before.

All of my pens are covered with good heavy duty netting. When I first put it up I ran short so bought some other netting and it worked for quite awhile. Eventually an owl discovered how crappy the netting was and decided it would plow through the netting and killed some birds. I put another piece up and again the owl went through it and killed some birds so I moved the birds to another coop and pen. I replaced that piece and put a camera up and the owl came back and went through the crappy netting again. In the meantime I ordered some good netting and then put it up and the owl tried to go through the netting again but this time got caught. We managed to get it into a cage and a wildlife rescue came and got it. View attachment 2670652View attachment 2670653View attachment 2670655I have posted these pictures before.
poor bb, whenever I have something bothering my animals I leave food out for it, it usually seems to help

Back
Top Bottom