Can anyone identy the breed of this turkey.

Noclucks2give

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
Hey guys, I did a homesteaders delight package from mcmurray hatchery and am unable to identify this breed.
20210614_094844.jpg
20210614_094849.jpg
20210614_094854.jpg
The bird is much smaller than our bourbon reds and nagganasette turkeys of the same age.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I did a homesteaders delight package from mcmurray hatchery and am unable to identify this breed.View attachment 2717800View attachment 2717799View attachment 2717797 The bird is much smaller than our bourbon reds and narragansett turkeys of the same age.

Thanks in advance.
The breed is really easy. All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey.

Your poult appears to be the variety Chocolate but you will have to wait until it has its adult feathering to determine whether it is a Barred Chocolate or a Chocolate.

The breed is really easy. All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey.

Your poult appears to be the variety Chocolate but you will have to wait until it has its adult feathering to determine whether it is a Barred Chocolate or a Chocolate.
I thought turkey would be species? And thank you for the information

I thought turkey would be species? And thank you for the information
The term breed has many definitions and each definition is according to the bird, animal that it is being used for.

All domestic turkeys are the same genus and species and do not differ until you get to the sub species. How the term breed is used in reference to chickens has nothing to do with how it is used with turkeys.

The APA recognizes one breed and that breed is Turkey. They only recognize 8 Varieties of the breed Turkey although there are many more possibilities. Chocolate is one of the many varieties that they do not recognize.

The term breed has many definitions and each definition is according to the bird, animal that it is being used for.

All domestic turkeys are the same genus and species and do not differ until you get to the sub species. How the term breed is used in reference to chickens has nothing to do with how it is used with turkeys.

The APA recognizes one breed and that breed is Turkey. They only recognize 8 Varieties of the breed Turkey although there are many more possibilities. Chocolate is one of the many varieties that they do not recognize.
Thats interesting, I didn't know that.

Back
Top Bottom