Can anyone tell me about converting an old car into a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beepbeepinajeep, Nov 12, 2009.

1. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    We have an old Ford Taurus that we are thinking about converting into a coop. What should we know about converting an old car into a coop? I am a little concerned about it looking junky... but maybe that shouldn't be a big concern b/c we already have four chicken tractors in one of our fields. I know I have seen pictures of a few on BYC, but I can't find them now. I think we would like the nesting area to be in the trunk, but how about ventilation and roosts?

TIA:)

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    That's a very creative and interesting project! We're going to want pics of that one.

3. Maggies Pop

Maggies Pop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Middletown (No CAL)
    If you go to BYCHome page, under coop designs, I think I saw one there. Good luck! And I agree....Pictures!!! [​IMG]

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd sell the car for scrap and build a real coop

5. acdoc

acdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    shenadoah valley
    hey you should take a picture when your done and send it to ford,and tell them you found another use for them besides a boat anchor

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Unless you plan to park it in deep shade, it will get dangerously hot in the summer. I agree with Bear Foot; sell it for scraps and use the money to buy coop building materials.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  7. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:I absolutely agree 100%.

8. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    It would end up being a nightmare stinking mess that I can see.

if you do it, gotta see pics.

would you lock them up in there or just leave the doors open for them to go in and out?
    one thing, you could never truly clean it...it would be a mess of filth pretty soon.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  9. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Ventilation is going to be HUGE if you do this. You need alot or they will quickly overheat.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My family is the family of Taurus cars, even myself had a Taurus car myself and loved them! Except those bubble nosed Tauruses [​IMG]

I would not use one as a coop without having all the ventilation, temp adjusted taken care of. Besides if windows are open without any protective barrier, the coons and wolves might just have a go at it and ripping out the barrier or "stalk the prey" method that would make the chickens all stressed out at all four sides. With everything taken out, the floor would rot eventually.

Junk the car, or scrap it for parts and get yourself a coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by