Can anyone tell me about converting an old car into a coop?

beepbeepinajeep

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Piedmont NC
We have an old Ford Taurus that we are thinking about converting into a coop. What should we know about converting an old car into a coop? I am a little concerned about it looking junky... but maybe that shouldn't be a big concern b/c we already have four chicken tractors in one of our fields. I know I have seen pictures of a few on BYC, but I can't find them now. I think we would like the nesting area to be in the trunk, but how about ventilation and roosts?

TIA:)

If you go to BYCHome page, under coop designs, I think I saw one there. Good luck! And I agree....Pictures!!!
big_smile.png

Unless you plan to park it in deep shade, it will get dangerously hot in the summer. I agree with Bear Foot; sell it for scraps and use the money to buy coop building materials.

Last edited:
It would end up being a nightmare stinking mess that I can see.

if you do it, gotta see pics.

would you lock them up in there or just leave the doors open for them to go in and out?
one thing, you could never truly clean it...it would be a mess of filth pretty soon.

Last edited:
My family is the family of Taurus cars, even myself had a Taurus car myself and loved them! Except those bubble nosed Tauruses
sickbyc.gif

I would not use one as a coop without having all the ventilation, temp adjusted taken care of. Besides if windows are open without any protective barrier, the coons and wolves might just have a go at it and ripping out the barrier or "stalk the prey" method that would make the chickens all stressed out at all four sides. With everything taken out, the floor would rot eventually.

Junk the car, or scrap it for parts and get yourself a coop.

Back
Top Bottom