Can anyone tell me if I have hens or toms? They are 10-11 weeks old. New at raising turkeys

My toms showed behavioral signs early on. They would do their dancing and fluff up their feathers and let their wings drag on the ground. My females never danced. I'm sure there's a name for this.

Its called strutting, i would think with them being 10/11 wks old their heads would be more bald.I know with my narragansetts at 5wks old they were already loosing fuzz and carnacules were forming on the back of their knecks.Mayb ur birds r a little younger but right now i would say hens unless u can post more pics.

Not sure their age my brother said they were doing a "dance" the other day but neither one of them drag their wings. Guess I will have to wait a few more weeks to tell.

The legs on the toms are much thicker, than the hens, so you'll notice this as one of the first traits. Then the heads will become balder, less feathers on the Toms heads.

Honda 150 I'm with you on the age. I'm thinking 5-7 weeks old. The guy I purchased them from said they were 4-5 on Oct 24th. They look a little different one has white tail feathers and the tail is square/ pointed. The other has rounded tail feathers. They are not gobbling but making purring and a yelp sound. Also the man I purchased them from said they were bourdon reds. I think they are bronze, red bronze or golden natragansett. This man purchased a farm and all of the animals were included so he didn't know much he never raised turkeys. Everytime he finds an egg he calls me to put the egg in the incubator (he kept a pair). I'm super excited and can not wait until I know for sure. I will post more pictures as soon as I can.

I dont think the tail feathers can say much where my 2 narragansett toms have diff tails one has much wider tail feathers and the other one is not as wide.The hen narri has very skinny tail feathers and she has developed adult plumage faster than the toms,her breast is almost all developed with white lacing.They also attempted to gobble at 8 wks old,and now they r 13 wks old and will only gobble when my daughter is outside running around but wont gobble for me go figure.their gobble is very distinct sounding.I deff think urs r red bronze.Now i believe by looking at ur turkey poults that u should c some difference in breast feathers if they r a type of bronze the toms will have black tips on the breast feather tips where the hens will b light colored lacing,mayb someone else can chyme in.

Back
Top Bottom