1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone tell me if these are true Aracuana chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by anc2908, Apr 17, 2016.

1. anc2908

anc2908 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

2. BlessedCountry6

BlessedCountry6 Chillin' With My Peeps

That is what my EE's looked like.

3. anc2908

Aug 17, 2015
    Virginia
    The darker red ones in some of the pics are my speckled sussex which were bought straight run. Also looking for any tips of sexing them this young. All the Aracuanas are suppose to be pullets.

4. BlessedCountry6

Hope someone else comments. It's been 2 yrs since I had my EE's. All my local farm stored carry EE's and don't label them right.

I have not had a yellow one.

They r great friendly birds. I have 4 kids and picked kind breeds for that reason. They r my smallest ones but super hardy and pop out lots of eggs.

5. BlessedCountry6

I mean 2 yrs since my EE's were chicks.

6. anc2908

Aug 17, 2015
    Virginia
    From what I understand it seems as if you have to go directly to a breeder to get true aracuanas but i figured Id take my chances. How big were your eggs and what color did your eggs turn out?

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    This is true -- *some* hatcheries are beginning to offer true Ameraucanas (in limited color varieties and with a considerable price tag), but there are not any commercial hatcheries which have true Araucanas at this time. Unfortunately, hatcheries continue to mislabel their birds and stores are only selling what they have been sold........when you are seeking a rare breed such as Araucana you want to educate yourself very well about the unique characteristics of the breed so that even when working with what you feel to be a reputable breeder you are able to identify if you are getting what you are buying or not.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're Easter eggers.

You can't sex the Sussex until around 4-6 weeks. Males will get a larger, redder comb, thicker legs, and often more white on the chest than females.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Given the source of the chicks and the fact that I can see no tufting, I would guess that it is very likely that you have EE chicks.

10. anc2908

Aug 17, 2015
    Virginia
    How soon can you typically see the tufts on Aracuana chicks? And do you think the solid yellow one is an EE too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by