Can anyone tell me if this plant is poisonous?

Snoopy13

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2020
IMG_7475.jpeg

Sorry if I've posted this to the wrong forum. But I have this plant in my backyard and being new to chickens, I don't know whether this is toxic or not. There is star jasmine growing near it, so I'm guessing it is also a jasmine of some kind. My girls keep trying to peck at it, so I've blocked the area off for now. They seem to like it bc they keep trying to eat it, but I don't want to assume it's safe for them. Thanks for your time!

It does look like Jasmine and I have read that it is toxic. Mine have destroyed all lower foliage off the one in their run with no ill effects. Though the plant is much less developed than yours. If fencing it off can be done, I would do that. Better safe than sorry.

True Jasmine is not toxic, it’s more of a vining plant than shrubby. The shrubbier “Jasmine” with thick waxy leaves is toxic to cats and dogs, so likely chickens as well. I have a Jasmine in my kitchen that I’m looking at right now that I know is non toxic, I’ll attach a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 6
Thank you everyone! I went ahead and removed it from the backyard so I don't have to worry about it. :) The chickens liked to peck at it a lot. :p

Back
Top Bottom