Can anyone tell me the breed of my duckling that passed away?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jo1313, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Jo1313

Jo1313 New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    I recently lost an egg i was incubating, it was a single egg that i was 'given' to make an omellete of...I decided i couldnt let that happen and so i went onto incubate it.

The chick developed beautifully but sadly died in the shell, and after it being days past its pipping date without seeing any movement, i realised it had passed away.

I removed the chick from the egg to find its legs were very bent and un-even in height, it also looked like its intestines had developed on the outside (it wasnt the yolk sac).

Can anyone tell me what breed of duck this is, i literally have no idea - he was all black, black beak black feet etc etc but with a small flare of yellow on his breast.

Im thinking cayuga?

If photo attatchment doesnt work: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/pipb.jpg/

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So sorry it didnt end well for you. To give it a chance at life rather than have a yummy breakfast was such a wonderfully sweet thing. It would have made a lovely story to tell people in years to come if it had survived.

it could have been a cayuga - maybe even a swede if it had yellow on the chest. Another possibility could have been an Indian Runner- but otherwise there are many possibilities of cross bred ducks that could have produced offspring coloured like that.

I hope you have more luck should you ever try hatching your omellete again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by