Can anyone tell me which is which?

Jesairene

In the Brooder
May 22, 2021
Can anyone tell me which is the ameracuana and speckled Sussex. I got 1 of each from the local feed store.. I’m guessing the photos in the middle are the speckled Sussex
Chicks are about 2 weeks old.

any ideas? Thank you for your help!😊
4D666355-456A-4E5A-8233-3791B5543506.jpeg
7A42BBF3-18D9-46C6-9C65-53CA277BB1AA.jpeg
596B486C-54FF-4D65-846B-B92518D849B6.jpeg
6DE1886C-E3E9-46E3-8DC7-FC8327439C04.jpeg

The one with the white chest is a Speckled Sussex. The other is an Easter Egger.

Hatcheries list EE as “Americana’s, Ameracana’s, and all other sorts of things. There are only a few recognized true Ameraucana breeds, and Ameraucana’s will be more expensive than Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers can have all sorts of quality’s, green legs, muffs, all sorts of colors, etc. But your EE is gorgeous!

Correct spelling is Ameraucana for the actual breed that goes by that name. Note where the AU appears in the name. Easter Eggers, which may carry a blue-egg gene but are not true Ameraucanas, may be sold under similar-sounding names, spelled differently, to fool the unwary. True Ameraucanas are not typically sold at hatcheries or feed stores and you can expect to pay around $20 a chick for them, not $3 - $5.

Easter Eggers are lovely birds and I love mine. I hope never to have a flock without some. But I know what they are. They are not show or breeding stock. Just good, honest, hard-working, backyard chickens that lay a pretty greenish egg.

Correct spelling is Ameraucana for the actual breed that goes by that name. Note where the AU appears in the name. Easter Eggers, which may carry a blue-egg gene but are not true Ameraucanas, may be sold under similar-sounding names, spelled differently, to fool the unwary. True Ameraucanas are not typically sold at hatcheries or feed stores and you can expect to pay around $20 a chick for them, not $3 - $5.

Easter Eggers are lovely birds and I love mine. I hope never to have a flock without some. But I know what they are. They are not show or breeding stock. Just good, honest, hard-working, backyard chickens that lay a pretty greenish egg.
The one with the white chest is a Speckled Sussex. The other is an Easter Egger.

Hatcheries list EE as “Americana’s, Ameracana’s, and all other sorts of things. There are only a few recognized true Ameraucana breeds, and Ameraucana’s will be more expensive than Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers can have all sorts of quality’s, green legs, muffs, all sorts of colors, etc. But your EE is gorgeous!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom