1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can apple seeds kill a turkey?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Treefolk, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Treefolk

Treefolk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Yesterday the turkeys and chickens were given apples off of a friends tree. Today one of my toms is sitting with his eyes closed, not panting (the other 3 are, its hot) and had a bowl movement that was pure white with mucus and what looks like hints or blood or maybe red apple skin. He just sits, did not eat during feeding and didn't not want to leave the enclosure in the morning.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as time seems to be of the utmost importance.

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    sorry about the turkey

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Mine eat apples all the time so i doubt it would be from the apple seed. Maybe he has heat stress.

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:x2 you can see if you can get it (force) some eletrolights and also grab some rubbing alcho. and rub some on his legs top of his head and neck to help cool him down.
    good luck im sorry about your turkey [​IMG]

5. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Apple seeds only contain tiny amounts of cyanide, so he would have to eat a LOT of apples to have a problem (my chickens eat apples all the time with no ill effects). I would be more worried about what your friend might have sprayed the apple tree with...... Does he/she use pesticides? Were the apples washed?
    I hope your turkey is OK [​IMG]

6. Treefolk

Treefolk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Talked to a vet, seems like its coccidiosis and is being treated. His feces has gotten solid, but he still isn't eating, still drinking. Funny 100% organic, 0 drugs up till this point.

7. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Apple seeds don't kill chickens, but they can cause numerous health problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea.
    as I know it could poison human a little not chicken. and apple seed could kill human easily in american novels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by