Can Araucanas be yellow as chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by schmije, Mar 11, 2009.

1. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I received 27 chicks from McMurray on Monday. I can identify all of the breeds except a few. My packing list shows that I received 5 Araucanas, but I only have 4 that look like Araucana. I am supposed to have 5 white leghorn and 4 white rock, but I have 11 chicks that are yellow. I am wondering if the two extra yellow chicks could be an Araucana and the "Free Exotic Chick". I am hopeful that the two extras are not additional leghorns and/or white rocks, because I really wanted the 5 Araucanas and the free mystery chick. Any ideas?

I'm sorry, but I don't have a pic right now.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They would be easter eggers, not araucanas, but that is another thread....

Check to see if they have little muffs and beards. Pick one chick up that doesn't have it and compare the rest to it.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    We got an EE (sold as an Araucana, but as Jean said, you can search on this and get multiple threads) from McMurray and one of our EEs was exactly the color of the buff orpingtons we also got. Even though she grew up with a muff and beard, we couldn't tell them apart until she was older.

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    yup.. i have gotten several EEs =hatchery "ameracaunas" (lying S.O.Bs)
    but yes they CAN be white.. i got a pure white one without muffs and i also got a creamy white one with muff/beard..
    being from a hatchery they can be ANY color

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Our first easter egger was white, called an araucana by the feed store (so was the light brown leghorn we bought at the same time) and laid a pale brown egg (I refuse to call them pink--they are not).

I have also seen white true araucanas (standard sized).

6. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Thanks guys. Two of my yellow chicks have poofy cheeks, and once I realized that, I noticed that their color is slightly different than the others. That makes my numbers work out with the packing slip, assuming that one of the four that I originally thought was Araucana is actually the rare mystery chick, which I think it is. I can't wait to see what they all look like when their feathers grow in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by