Help Identifying Silkie Chick Colours

Elliemae1984

Songster
Sep 9, 2022
Ontario, Canada
This is my first time raising non-partridge silkies from chicks and I’m hoping someone can help confirm what colours I think they’ll feather out as.

5 of the 9 below came from eggs hatched from a BBS (plus paint) pen. The other 4 I got from a breeder with separate pens, but she hatched all together so no confirmation on which of her pens they could be from.

The first 3 are easy - these little black chicks - but the others I’m not sure of…
2789E6B1-DBD3-4B98-A1C6-D0EC015A31CA.jpeg

These 4 started light grey and are all getting some darker grey (maybe black?) streaks in their wing feathers - to varying degrees. Are these littles going to be splash?
55100E7B-2AA4-4B31-B4C6-BF76B4355B36.jpeg

And these last two appear to both be feathering out bright white in their wings. Would this be a case of a yellow-based white and a silver-based white? The breeder also said lavender was possible based on her pens, but I know nothing about lavender, especially at this age.
2E3F64CE-A760-4E70-833E-166092F5B982.jpeg

I’ll also add that the colours don’t matter to me…I’m just an impatient chicken mom waiting to see what they’ll look like lol.

I'm not sure, but I'm very curious about yours, especially the grey that may be splash. I have a couple that just hatched (from a BBS pen) and they are pale grey, while some are dark grey, and I think I may have one black.

The second set of 4 might be lavender. Usually a splash pattern would be more apparent at this age. The last one might be a white. You should be able to tell better when they are a little older. Are you planning to show them?

The second set of 4 might be lavender. Usually a splash pattern would be more apparent at this age. The last one might be a white. You should be able to tell better when they are a little older. Are you planning to show them?
Oh no, not looking to show. They’re just pets but I’m going to keep separate pens (in case I ever hatch more than I want to keep. That way I will feel comfortable giving away/selling as proper colours).

Could you take pictures of them now? I would love to see how they've grown! They're all lovely colors
So hard trying to get good pics of 10 little fuzz balls lol, but I did my best! I grouped them together and in the same order as the original pics so you can easily compare.

The black chicks (varying degrees of leakage coming through on each):
7DB8187D-F15F-448A-9C9D-27C832B37DBC.jpeg

The splash chicks (first two are very similar, third has some really dark patches especially on her head, and third has very light/muted “splashes”):
354FFB9B-0580-4953-8EE6-620FAD7D3FEC.jpeg

And the “white” chicks (I’m not an expert on lavender but I’m starting to think the first one is lavender and not white 🤷🏼‍♀️):
1A86DDDF-E304-4D40-8413-6AE883C32353.jpeg

And then I have a paint chick as well but didn’t post her photo before (but she’s my fave so here she is lol):
IMG_1019.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom