Can araucanas lay tan eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristysedai, Aug 23, 2011.

1. kristysedai

kristysedai Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    From everything I have read they lay blue eggs but we have two Delawares and two Araucanas and we are getting about four tan to brown eggs everyday. I thought maybe we were mistaken about the breed but they look just like pictures of other Araucanas.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Post a picture of your birds so we can see what you have. A true Araucana or a true Ameraucana does not lay brown eggs, no. An Easter Egger can, though.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Well, you likely have Easter Eggers, if you got your birds from a hatchery. True rumpless n tufted araucanas can only come from breeders, no hatcheries sell them. They sell a kind of mutt chicken that is usually muffed, bearded, tailed, and can lay any color egg.

True araucanas should lay a blue egg, but the araucana egg color chart ranges from pale blue to a soft green. They can vary, but blue is most desirable. I know a breeder here named Lanae has a true araucana hen that lays a pinkish egg I think, but that isn't the norm.

4. kristysedai

Jun 28, 2011
    I tried to post a picture but it wont work.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I believe you need at least ten posts to post pics. Kind of an anti spam safety feature or something.

6. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    None of my good gene pool ever laid a tan egg. Some of my easter eggers and EE ameraucana crosses have laid spotted eggs tan , grey, beige spots on green, olive, blue eggs. Lovely eggs

7. kristysedai

Jun 28, 2011
    One of the eggs was speckled about two weeks ago but none of the others are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by