Can Ascites Syndrome be reversed?

lastchickenstanding

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Hi. We currently have 23 laying hens and recently purchased 20 meat birds (Cornish X Rock). Our intent is/was to eat the meat birds at 6-8 weeks old, however a few days ago they started getting sick and dying.
We took one to UC Davis for a necropsy -- first finding was Ascites Syndrome.
My question is, are there any steps we can take at this point to reverse this syndrome and still be able to eat these birds? They're only 4 weeks old. I've read that the meat is/can be tainted (?)
I know this may be a morbid topic for this site which seems to focus on chickens for pets... but this falls under "knowing where your food comes from".
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
LCS

Look in the meat bird section for feeding schedules and types of feed, and see if you can do something with your approach to this, is the only thing I know of. Limiting feed is supposed to limit the occurrence.

You should be feeding a broiler feed and allowing access to feed for 12 hours and then taking it away for 12 hours. We take the feed away about seven in the evening and put it down at seven in the morning. Haven't had any trouble with ascites. Had a couple that when they got bigger had leg problems. We sent those to freezer camp pronto. Extra vitamins, like Murray McMurray's Broiler Booster in the water helps a lot.

Thank you. We'll try the 12 hours on/12 hours off approach and hope for the best. I've been reading up, and some sites mention that the liver is damaged and leaking into the insides of the chicken.
We're feeding a meat chick mix and the water vitamin supplements that came with them (McMurray Hatchery).

The big question is can they recover if they already have it.
Thank you,
LCS

Well, much to our dismay, more chicks are dying so I guess the answer is they don't recover.
sad.png

We still have 20 chicks left so if anyone has any other tips, we'd love to hear them.
We're feeding broiler chick feed and the vitamins recommended in the water. Also putting a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in the 5-gallon water container. Feed is now 12 hours on/12 hours off.
They're kept in an outdoor enclosure (approx 20'x20" with partially solid sides, an open top and two heat lights.
Thanks for your help.
LCS

Back
Top Bottom