can babies new to coop have coop and run or just coop?

Rushdoggie

Songster
Jun 15, 2018
Vancouver, WA
I moved my 3 babies out to my chicken yard, they have their own small coop and run combo. The enclosed coop has a window but its kind of in the shade and its a little dim inside.

The whole little shebang is pretty safe, with good latches and it has a nice apron to prevent digging, but I would prefer they go inside at night vs perching on their branch in the run. Eventually, these kids will join the older girls in the big coop and I want them roosting inside.

I have been herding them in at night and preventing escape and hoping they would choose to go up on their own eventually. I thought it might be too dark so I put a light in it so it was brighter and no go. Today I opened a door and McGuyvered screening so it was open on one side and put the food up there, and even ut some treats in (mealworms) but they choose to roost in the run.

Should I lock them in the enclosed coop for a few days? Its not huge, I feel kind of bad about that.

Don't lock them up in the coop at night, it takes about a month for 2 months old chicks to get use to there new home.

It's helpful to start a routine to place them in the coop at night, preferably on there roost rather than on the floor.

I would lock them in the coop for a few days, assuming there is plenty if ventilation and they won't overheat. That helps them know where home is. If it's not safe to do that, then I would continue to manually put them in at night just at dusk. They'll catch on soon. It's a bit inconvenient but in my experience it usually takes about a week. This is assuming there is enough room for everybody. Generally it's advised to allow 4 sq ft per bird for adults in the coop to prevent bickering and bullying. Good luck!

I would lock them in the coop for a few days, assuming there is plenty if ventilation and they won't overheat. That helps them know where home is. If it's not safe to do that, then I would continue to manually put them in at night just at dusk. They'll catch on soon. It's a bit inconvenient but in my experience it usually takes about a week. This is assuming there is enough room for everybody. Generally it's advised to allow 4 sq ft per bird for adults in the coop to prevent bickering and bullying. Good luck!
Its plenty big enough for them now. They are still pretty small.

In my experience they will eventually "get it". They will see you coming and go in on their own. It just takes time and patience. As long as the roosting area in the coop is higher than their run roosts, they will seek out the highest roost. Usually if you're locking them in an area, it's so they get used to that being their home. I've never locked any birds in the coop, just the run. I've intoduced new birds to the flock a handful of times and eventually they all go into the coop - before the auto door closes. They learn - maybe not on our time schedule though.

Back
Top Bottom