can babys jump over run fence?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by n2thestorm5032, Jul 7, 2008.

1. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

so I have to Buff Orpingtons and they are going on to a week and a half old, and right now they can probably jump about 1/2 foot to probably a foot, and my run fence is 4 foot high is that high enough! this is my first time with chickens so I am new, and I think later on in the summer, is to build a run that has a box frame with chicken wiring if you all know what I mean!!

2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I've seen my two-week-old Orps and Wyandottes jump pretty high. I covered my brooder run with wire, partly so they can't get out, but even more so predators can't get in. More for peace of mind than anything.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Umm that will NOT be high enough in a few weeks (maybe sooner). Mine are 6 weeks and are VERY close to clearing a 6 1/2 foot fence. They would clear a 4 foot fence with NO problem. Were going to be getting netting REAL soon.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Clip their wings at any point in their development when it seems they are too good at flying.
    Get them used to it early.

5. n2thestorm5032

when should I clip their wings, I really don't want to clip them because I don't them to hate me if I mess up but if it comes to that... I will, not what can I do to make better of the run?? I don't want to tear it down and make a new one, so I could add on to make it higher or I can add a roof somehow, will netting make a good roof, if so what kind of netting fish netting... ??? thank you so much

6. n2thestorm5032

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    They wont hate you. They dont know how to hate.

As soon as they are worrying you with their flying then you should clip. There is a sticky on BYC in the Learning Center on how to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by