Can Bantam Roosters Breed with standard size Hens.

My little d'uccle roo loves his big girls. Only the orp is one I'd consider "big"...the GLW and barred rock are somewhat smallish, but still at least 2x his size. I've not seen any fertilized eggs, although they squat for him frequently
hu.gif
Things just don't line up right...

Quote:
Thanks it might depend on the size of the breeds I guess. Buffs are very large. I don't know what breeds I have yet or if I have roosters so I guess time will tell.

It was very funny when I first got my tiny OEGB rooster. He would catch one of the Buffs and then just stand up on her back looking all confused. He finally got a technique figured out, but apparently, it still needs some improvement. lol!

yuckyuck.gif

I have some st. run silkies and mille fluer d'uccles. I plan on keeping 1 or 2 of the cocks to hang with my polish, brahma, leghorn, and ameraucana pullets... I have no idea what will happen. I am really interested to know what a silky/d'uccle cross would look like. Might be a really cool bird! I'd appreciate any input or guesses as to what will happen.

I should know in a couple of weeks my white plymouth rock is sitting on eggs laid by a variety of hens and the only rooster is my Black Silkie. He is almost the same size as my Rhode Island Red so there might be a possibility there.
jumpy.gif

So we have a tiny rooster- not quite sure the breed, but quite handsome- and I'm curious how you "see" a fertilized egg?? How will I know if he's getting things "lined up right"?? My partner is adamant about not eating fertilized eggs so I wanted to help honor her wishes- I'm just not sure how to tell... I don't think he could make it work, but who knows!!!

I forgot to get back here with the happy news my Black Silkie Rooster bred one of my Barred Plymouth Rocks and the resulting chicken has mixed traits from both parents. It has the barred grey and white feathers and the grey/green legs, extra toe and feather legs of the Black silkie. The egg was hatched by a White Plymouth Rock and once she went back to sleeping in the rafter, her favourite place, the rooster took over parenting duties. The chick sleeps cuddled up next to dad and dad hunts all day for treats for the little guy.

Back
Top Bottom