Can birds have autism and other mental disorders?

Wicked Storm

Songster
Aug 10, 2019
Hi all! I've been trying to do research on if birds can have mental illnesses such as autism. I know they cannot have down syndrome, but what about the others? My bird has always acted like she has autism and looks like it as well. She's definitely different for sure. Its not personality or any diseases. I can't get her tested by a vet. Just wanted to know!

What type of bird? Some can get head injuries that results in brain damage and sluggishness. Generally it's the crested breeds, but it can occur in all birds with sufficient trauma.

What type of bird? Some can get head injuries that results in brain damage and sluggishness. Generally it's the crested breeds, but it can occur in all birds with sufficient trauma.
She's always been this way. She's a Canada goose. She's been that way since birth, her movements are weird and her face is weird

She's always been this way. She's a Canada goose. She's been that way since birth, her movements are weird and her face is weird
They can develop vitamin deficiencies when young that can cause neurological problems that stay with them their whole lives. Things like star gazing and niacin deficiencies come to mind.

I'm sure there are some that have birth defects. Most pass, but occasionally one hangs in there.

They can develop vitamin deficiencies when young that can cause neurological problems that stay with them their whole lives. Things like star gazing and niacin deficiencies come to mind.

I'm sure there are some that have birth defects. Most pass, but occasionally one hangs in there.
Thank you so much. I've learned the hard way with vitamin deficiencies. I didn't know that where I lived doesn't give my birds a chance to get vitamins until recently. One of my birds began having seizures from a vitamin B defiency.

Back
Top Bottom