Can Broody ducks continue to lay eggs?

Sadiew

Chirping
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Spain
I have two muscovies and one has been going broody and has now been sitting permanent on the eggs for a few days now and being very protective on nest, she normally lays one egg a day and even though she is on nest last two days has been an egg a day appear outside the nest, I know it is not any she is sitting on as have them all marked, this is first time having a broody duck, is it possible she can continue to lay? or is my other duck who I thought was male actually a female have never known for sure and no one in my area can tell me either, I presumed as it was always same duck I have seen lay and never had two eggs a day that it was one of each, poor Daisy if she sits the whole time and no babies ;(.

I have two muscovies and one has been going broody and has now been sitting permanent on the eggs for a few days now and being very protective on nest, she normally lays one egg a day and even though she is on nest last two days has been an egg a day appear outside the nest, I know it is not any she is sitting on as have them all marked, this is first time having a broody duck, is it possible she can continue to lay? or is my other duck who I thought was male actually a female have never known for sure and no one in my area can tell me either, I presumed as it was always same duck I have seen lay and never had two eggs a day that it was one of each, poor Daisy if she sits the whole time and no babies ;(.
When my Muscovy girls start making their nests they will continue to lay and even for a few days after they start to sit for good. How old are your ducks? and is the one not sitting quite a bit larger than the sitting one? maybe post some pics we maybe able to tell you if you have a drake or a duck.

When my Muscovy girls start making their nests they will continue to lay and even for a few days after they start to sit for good. How old are your ducks? and is the one not sitting quite a bit larger than the sitting one? maybe post some pics we maybe able to tell you if you have a drake or a duck.

Thank you Miss Lydia,
here is a pic of my two for you to look at:

The one at back I know is female and has always laid one egg a day even during our winter as we have mild winters here in Spain, the one in front I hope is male and I have never seen this one lay and never had two eggs a day. They have just turned one year old this week.

This is another pic of on I hope is male.
Sadiew, can you get a close up of the one you think is a drake? because it looks like it may be a duck to me. just doesn't have the large carnicles like the drakes I have or of others I've seen but maybe just not close enough to see good. thanks.

LL
adult female

LL
adult female
LL
Adult male
I could be wrong but that maybe why your are seeing eggs outside of the nest. and mating there should be alot of mating going on at this age especially.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your help hmmm yes does seem to be I have 2 females, oh dear poor Daisy will be sitting on duds ;(

Back
Top Bottom