Can broody hens be in the same pen?

Ettie

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2020
I have a mixture of hens, and a Vorwerk rooster. Recently I bought two bantams. One turned clucky a few weeks ago, so I collect eggs from the vorwerk hen to put under her. I only have the one corwerk, and don’t want cross breds, so it took a few days to get 5 eggs for the broody hen. About a week later the other new bantam went broody. I don’t have any purebred eggs to put under her, and do to upcoming work commitments I don’t have time to purchase any.
I am thinking of taking two eggs from broody bantam number one and placing them under broody bantam number 2. At the moment B2 is nesting in the layer box the other hens are using for their daily egg laying.
My question is; can I put both hens in the one pen? Will they harm each others chicks when they hatch? The two hens have only known each other for a short while. The eggs are due to hatch in 7 days.

My first hen hatched 3 chicks. I would say they were a day old before I became aware of them. I took the remaining two eggs ( which were placed under the first hen 2 days after the first 3) and placed under the other broody hen. I was beginning to think I’d made the wrong decision and then this happened.
:)

C4447400-C5AC-4C57-9F78-E7A9A2A62C11.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom