Can chicken eat mint , if planted around a run??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mmtillman, Mar 3, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to plant something around the run we just finished....I had petunias, last summer, but they loved them [​IMG] !!! I hadnt planned on them eating them!!
    They just reached thru the fence and pulled it in !! [​IMG]
    So much for pretty flowers around the run! [​IMG]
    So this year when I replant something around the run I want something they can eat that will grow really vigorously that we can just weedeat back if it gets out of control....Naturally MINT came to mind.....[​IMG]
    But ...can chickens eat mint?? Will it hurt them ?? Would they even like it?? [​IMG]
    Any ideas of what to plant around the run would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I have spearmint within reach and they don't touch it! Plus it acts as a natural deodorant for the droppings in hot weather. Another thing they leave alone is chicory fern and you get a nice scent of licorice in hot weather...

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    What she said. They won't bother the mint at all. I have three varieties and they don't touch it. I find that generally they don't get into any of my herbs Chives, onions, garlic, thyme, sage no problem. I had to cage off my strawberries though...plant those a mile or so away!

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Mine ate mint and their droppings stank so badly.... [​IMG] I am never doing that again. The pens and the chickens themselves had a nice minty smell but I couldn't go near them for a whole day unless all the droppings were dry.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I have several varieties of mint planted within a few feet of the coop and also in a few other places in the yard. It is never bothered by the chickens.

Probably anything that is within reach of a pen of chickens has a much greater chance of being pulled. Once my hens are out, there are apparently much better choices than the mint from which to chose.

There are a number of ornamentals within the mint family that may be reasonably chicken-proof.

Steve

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine ate my garlic chives down into the dirt.

7. rirluvr

rirluvr Gallus Domesticus

my soon to be 4 month old RI reds love to eat mint. It is like a treat to them. The previous comment on the smell of their waste after consuming mint is true. However, I figure the joy they get from eating it makes up for stinky poop. Poop is, as poop does.

8. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I've actually tried feeding my chickens the last of my fall herbs and they wouldn't touch anything strong flavored, like sage, mint, thyme, but loved chives, and onion bunches.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Hey, maybe you could get mint flavored eggs.

10. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    mint eggs? blech..but then I guess you wouldn't have to gargle afterwards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by