Can chickens and Domestic turkeys live with each other?

Hi, I am brand new to BYC and I am currently doing all my research to start a flock of dual-purpose chickens and some turkeys this spring/summer. I have read a lot, but the one question I have not seen posted or answered yet is how to manage feeding in a mixed flock environment. How do I make sure my chickens eat the chicken feed and stay away from the turkey feed and vice versa?

Hi, I am brand new to BYC and I am currently doing all my research to start a flock of dual-purpose chickens and some turkeys this spring/summer. I have read a lot, but the one question I have not seen posted or answered yet is how to manage feeding in a mixed flock environment. How do I make sure my chickens eat the chicken feed and stay away from the turkey feed and vice versa?
Only way to keep them from eating each others food is to put them in separate pens.

It's easy to keep the chickens away from the turkey feed by putting it higher up. That way the turkeys can reach it, but the chickens are too short. In order to keep a turkey away from the chicken feed, you have to put the feed somewhere only the chickens can go. A dog carrier or crate works well for this purpose. The chickens walk in to eat, but the turkey is too big to go in. This system worked very well for me, but I now feed chicken feed to all of them after the vet said it would be fine. By the way, you can buy mixed flock feed if you want to avoid all this hassle. It has a protein content in between most chicken and turkey feeds.

Back
Top Bottom