Can chickens and rabbits live together in the same coop?

I have literally raised rabbits in my chicken house with my chickens for years and I have not had any problems...I started out with 3 rabbits and the next year I had about 40...needless to say I got rid of about 1/2, but the others are still there and doing well....from time to time they will stand up next to a chicken and look it in the eyes as if to say, see I can stand up tall too, but they get along fine...

Quote:
Coccidia is species specific. Chicken coccidiosis is not contaigious to any other species or vice versa.
thumbsup.gif

Are you sure about that? I thought they could get it from other birds. If it was truly species specific wouldn't most urban chickens have nothing to worry about since they are typically the first chickens ever raised on that land?

Maybe its Class specific rather than species? (biological classification Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species) So it can only be spread amongst birds, their 'class' is Aves. It can't be passed to dogs or humans whose 'class' is mammalia and a rabbit also belongs to mammalia so if thats the way it works it would make sense...

Last edited:
Quote:
?! I have never heard of this before!! And while I know it is serious, it DID make me laugh out loud and gave me visions of The Killer Rabbit in Monty Python's Holy Grail with "nasty, big, pointy teeth!" "That rabbit's dynamite!"

hide.gif

Quote:
?! I have never heard of this before!! And while I know it is serious, it DID make me laugh out loud and gave me visions of The Killer Rabbit in Monty Python's Holy Grail with "nasty, big, pointy teeth!" "That rabbit's dynamite!"

hide.gif

The reason my rabbits free-range is that I have one psycho rabbit that was not meant for captivity. She did, as a few-month old kit, kill her roommate, and proceed to EAT her way out of my 200 dollar hutch. She is, however, much happier now and will even sometimes allow petting to commence.

Quote:

hide.gif

The reason my rabbits free-range is that I have one psycho rabbit that was not meant for captivity. She did, as a few-month old kit, kill her roommate, and proceed to EAT her way out of my 200 dollar hutch. She is, however, much happier now and will even sometimes allow petting to commence.

Well, again, THIS is what I love about this forum, learning all sorts of new stuff!!! Never had rabbits as pets or otherwise, so only knew the stereotypical cuddly bunny that is cute to look at. Who knew they can have a dark side to them?! Trust me, I wasn't doubting it when I read it, just was shocked! I can't imagine having to learn that lesson the hard way
sad.png

And then, like I said, Monty Python immediately sprang to mind, but I am a Monty Python geek.

Oh yeah. It was horrifying finding her little buddy kicked and clawed to death that morning. Rabbit does are notorious for killing- but we were under the impression they were both males. Whoops.
sad.png

I've got one Lionhead rabbit living with my three hens. He keeps nibbling the feathers off of one of my hens. At first I thought she was being pecked by the other chickens, but no. It's the rabbit. He follows her everywhere, nuzzles her and nibbles on her. She's almost bare! Any ideas on what I can do? For some reason, it's just this one hen. He leaves the other two alone.

I think yes .. But no lol... Mine did until the rabbit ATE my Roos feathers.. I than had a noodie bird lol
They got along great other than that ( I was afraid the rabbit would get bound up other wise I would of left them & he wasn't nakie just looked like he got in a fight with a weed eater) Lol

Back
Top Bottom