Can chickens and rabbits live together in the same coop?

If you are buying pet rabbits for children please make sure they are breed for pet status. These rabbits we have to sell for breeding and meat producing growl, kick, bite and are general not soft and cuddly.

I have 6 chickens that are 1 year old. The chicken yard is a fenced in 40' x 48' space, I would like to put a rabbit hutch in the yard for two young rabbits. Are there any real issues? Can they all share the same yard space? Or do I need to make a separate yard for the rabbits? Any thoughts on the rabbits both being females or both being males? I will get the same sex rabbits for sure, made that mistake once. I look forward to some feedback soon as I would like to purchase the bunnies this week. P.S. All my animals are pets!!! No eating other than the eggs from the chickens.

I think it would be fine. Two years ago I had 2 newborn Nigerian Dwarf goats--bottle babies. They lived in the coop with the chickens. The babies and young chicks would constantly jump on the goats back. A few of them went for rides around the run on the goats back. It worked out well and was so cute.

We keep 7 hens and one lion head rabbit in the same coop/run together. It's been about a year now. The rabbit has a wire cage in the chicken run and can come in and out as she likes and the chickens can hop up on their roosts if they need a break from the bunny. When we first put them all together the chickens would not tolerate the rabbit much. They would often give her a peck on the top of the head to put her in her place. Now that the rabbit is firmly at the bottom of the pecking order we haven't had any issues.

The rabbit seems to think she is a chicken.
bun.gif
lau.gif

I'm no expert, but figured I'd throw my two pence in the ring.

What I know about rabbits is that they are notoriously territorial. Therefore you should be okay to get a rabbit and introduce it to a habitat/garden where Chickens have already set up shop. To do it the other way around the rabbit will see the chickens as threats to its home and would be prone to attacking, and possibly killing the chickens. I learnt this as a kid when my folks decided to experiment with breeding rabbits. They learnt the hard way that placing the male into the females run only results in a dead male rather than cute bunnies!!

Once you've gotten the rabbits and introduced them to your garden I'd just keep an eye on them. If you spot the rabbit becoming a bit aggressive/jumpy about one particular area of the garden you may want to look at making it inaccessible to the chickens.

I have pet rabbits (which we keep for cuddling with popcorn, carrot sticks and a movie) they are lop ear bunnies. They have never shown any aggression and are very friendly. I also have a pure bread Rhodesian Ridgeback who was raised with them and (although I NEVER would leave them alone unattended) The RR searches for the leftovers that might be on the cabinets and avoids the rabbits entirely. Once when my kids left the pen open the dog ate the rabbits food but left them romp around the back yard.. My point is not that dogs and rabbits or chickens and rabbits are good together but if you buy animals that are intended for pets and introduce them property they can live well together. Show dogs have been bread many generations from the wild dogs that hunt in wild. My Show RR believes that the refrigerator is the main point of attack in my home and leaves my rabbits alone. I am considering getting some chooks to go with my little herd.
My dog and my daughter attend training weekly. The dog is extremely well fed and attended and the rabbits are very comfortable with humans and dogs. I may have a rare situation but I have worked hard for the harmony in my home

I want to get a young flemish giant in the spring to live with my chickens. How should I keep it in the yard? Right now it is chicken wire that is above ground. I imagine that this won't keep it in all tat well. Thanks!

LMy rabbits live with my chickens. I let them all out in the morning although my rabbits like to escape and dig burrows but it's their nature.

Back
Top Bottom