Can chickens and rabbits live together in the same coop?

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
Is this possible? I have a rabbit that I would like to get outside but can they stay in the same coop and how should the living quarters be set up?

thanks
Chris

I would just make sure the chickens can't sit on the cage and poop over the rabbit. Rabbits can get cocci easy from chickens. Otherwise they can share a building just fine. A friend of mine was breeding rabbits and chickens for showing and had them all in 1 building. The rabbit pens lined one side of the coop and the roosts the other. The mesh went all the way to the ceiling to prevent chickens from sitting on top of rabbit pens. I've also attached painter's plastic or tarps to the top of pens in my coop to keep chickens from pooping on quail or other chickens I've sperated.

I have my rabbits in the same pen with chickens- been that way for about 5 months now, I have not had any issues.

Someone will come along here and maybe have the exact post, but this was discussed once before and a couple of people said their rabbits had killed their chickens out of the blue after living together for a while. Seemed strange but happened to at least two people on here. Maybe better to not take a chance...don't know.

I don't know the answer to your question but I once saw an America's funny home video of some rabbits breaking up a fight between two chickens in a lady's yard. One of the funniest things to see!

i have 5 rabbits free ranging in chicken pen- have not had any issues so far.

I do put a bowl of rabbit feed out- but surely the chickens eat it- all of the rabbits can get to the chicken feed as well.

While it can work it is not the best idea. Rabbits may suddenly decide to kill their room mates. They also are prone to cocci like I said. Chickens can peck at rabbits as well. It may work for one person, it may work for years, but there is a pretty good risk of something going wrong eventually. I don't see it as worth the risk.

Quote:
Coccidia is species specific. Chicken coccidiosis is not contaigious to any other species or vice versa.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Coccidia is species specific. Chicken coccidiosis is not contaigious to any other species or vice versa.
thumbsup.gif

Are you sure about that? I thought they could get it from other birds. If it was truly species specific wouldn't most urban chickens have nothing to worry about since they are typically the first chickens ever raised on that land?

Back
Top Bottom