can chickens be both gender?

If you mean, for breeding purposes: either the bird is male, or it is female, never both. If it ever lays an egg, it will never father a chick. If it ever fathers a chick, it will never lay an egg.

I have read that occasionally a hen will have some kind of hormonal problem, grow rooster-style feathers, and start to crow: but she still never fathers chicks. And if the hormone problem is fixed, she'll grow normal feathers at the next molt, and may go back to laying eggs. (Although I think she may continue to crow--it appears that once a chicken starts crowing, it gets to be a habit, and nothing really stops them.)

And there are a few breeds (like Sebrights) where the males are "hen-feathered." The roosters grow the same kind of feathers that hens do, but the roosters still crow, and still father chicks.

If you mean, for breeding purposes: either the bird is male, or it is female, never both. If it ever lays an egg, it will never father a chick. If it ever fathers a chick, it will never lay an egg.

I have read that occasionally a hen will have some kind of hormonal problem, grow rooster-style feathers, and start to crow: but she still never fathers chicks. And if the hormone problem is fixed, she'll grow normal feathers at the next molt, and may go back to laying eggs. (Although I think she may continue to crow--it appears that once a chicken starts crowing, it gets to be a habit, and nothing really stops them.)

And there are a few breeds (like Sebrights) where the males are "hen-feathered." The roosters grow the same kind of feathers that hens do, but the roosters still crow, and still father chicks.
x2.

In all my life I have never seen nor heard of a chicken "changing it's sex". I have had hens crow and take on a "rooster" role in an all hen flock but she is still a hen and she still lays eggs...she does not become a rooster physically!

In all my life I have never seen nor heard of a chicken "changing it's sex". I have had hens crow and take on a "rooster" role in an all hen flock but she is still a hen and she still lays eggs...she does not become a rooster physically!
There are some cases where a hen becomes a fully functioning rooster due to the lack of roosters in a flock, where they stop laying eggs and begin fertilizing them. The rooster can take its testes and turn them into ovaries, causing them to be able to lay eggs.

There are some cases where a hen becomes a fully functioning rooster due to the lack of roosters in a flock, where they stop laying eggs and begin fertilizing them. The rooster can take its testes and turn them into ovaries, causing them to be able to lay eggs.

Where can I read more about this? I never heard of it before. (I know there are some kinds of animals that really do change gender--but I never heard of it before with chickens.)

Back
Top Bottom