Can chickens be jealous?

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
I was giving my EE some herbs and then started petting her and giving her some love and my EE/silkie was looking at her mad like and walked over to her while I was petting her like she wanted to peck her. When I let the EE go, my EE/silkie grabbed the back of her neck and jumped on her and literally attacked the poor EE. I got her off and my rooster gave her a quick peck to set her in her place. My EE jumped up to the perch, clearly freaked out from what just happened. They normally get along just fine and got along after this. So my question is, can chickens get jealous over attention?

According to two sources I found on google:

Screenshot 2022-09-24 195134.png

Screenshot 2022-09-24 195152.png

It sounds like apparently they can fell more than just jealous, according to these sources.

I was giving my EE some herbs and then started petting her and giving her some love and my EE/silkie was looking at her mad like and walked over to her while I was petting her like she wanted to peck her. When I let the EE go, my EE/silkie grabbed the back of her neck and jumped on her and literally attacked the poor EE. I got her off and my rooster gave her a quick peck to set her in her place. My EE jumped up to the perch, clearly freaked out from what just happened. They normally get along just fine and got along after this. So my question is, can chickens get jealous over attention?
I vote yes! I have an EE who absolutely gets jealous! When I pet other girls she comes running right over and will look like she wants me to pick her up and pet her. She will peck me lightly as well! When I do pick her up she is clearly very happy! Haha I say yes for sure!

According to two sources I found on google:

View attachment 3270695

View attachment 3270697
It sounds like apparently they can fell more than just jealous, according to these sources.
Wow! That's alot of emotions packed in a chicken! My silkie was definitely sad when her baby passed away so i believe they can definitely have these emotions!
I vote yes! I have an EE who absolutely gets jealous! When I pet other girls she comes running right over and will look like she wants me to pick her up and pet her. She will peck me lightly as well! When I do pick her up she is clearly very happy! Haha I say yes for sure!
Absolutely! Tess freaks out when I pick up another flock mate!
Thanks! It's weird because I was holding the EE/silkie right before I started hold the EE, but the EE/silkie wanted to stop being held, very undecided chicken lol 😆

Yep! My youngest and I are constantly going out to hang with the flocks and they do get jealous of each other when attention is on the plate. Anecdotally, I actually think that is why many roosters attack (in conjunction with hormones). Sheer jealousy of getting attention they are not currently getting. My kiddo and I were holding two birds yesterday and White Knight (the rooster) came up and pecked one of the hens on the head that we were holding and petting, with obvious hen enjoyment. No aggression toward us (I wouldn't tolerate it - 0% tolerance,) but the hen was "put in her place." I personally believe that chickens are capable of emotions. Just listen when they talk to each other and to you.

Yep! My youngest and I are constantly going out to hang with the flocks and they do get jealous of each other when attention is on the plate. Anecdotally, I actually think that is why many roosters attack (in conjunction with hormones). Sheer jealousy of getting attention they are not currently getting. My kiddo and I were holding two birds yesterday and White Knight (the rooster) came up and pecked one of the hens on the head that we were holding and petting, with obvious hen enjoyment. No aggression toward us (I wouldn't tolerate it - 0% tolerance,) but the hen was "put in her place." I personally believe that chickens are capable of emotions. Just listen when they talk to each other and to you.
My rooster was NOT happy about the EE/silkie causing ruckus, she got "put in her place" as well. Chickens are simply full of surprises aren't they!

I swear to God that when I pick up my rooster, Popeye, to bring him somewhere, he bocks with an upward infection! I swear! He's saying "where we going??" It's like "boocck???" Same when I bring an new food for them to try! They peck at it and bock with upward inflections!!! So crazy!

Back
Top Bottom