Can chickens be left alone for about a week?

cp2894_

Songster
May 17, 2022
Indiana
Recently my family bought 5 chicks. By next month, they should be big enough to move into their backyard coop. However we have an issue. At the end of June we're going to be visiting relatives for about a week. Unfortunately it can't be canceled. Is there any way to safely leave them home alone for that long? We may have a neighbor who could come and check on them but he's a young boy so I'm a bit concerned about how capable he'd be to look after them. If given enough food and water, would they be fine without being taken care of by a neighbor? Would it be ok to leave their coop door that leads to their run open the whole week? Will they know when to go to their coop at night by themselves?

That depends on a lot. How old will they baby then? Is the coop and run secure? How will the weather be? I've left my chickens for some time before but I have a secure run and keeps couple feeders that hold a 50lb bag of feed. They're also on an automated water system. I would never leave them in summer as we get to 120 easily and I need to check on them multiple times a day.

No, that won't be okay with the circumstances you listed.
To safely leave with only a "check-in" person, you would need:
An *automatic* pop door on the coop and chickens old enough to use it reliably (it takes a while to learn to "go to bed" when it's getting dark, we still have to shoo our 6wk olds to bed).
Auto waterers, and/or large and plentiful water containers in different locations in case of spillage, forgetfulness of the check-in person, etc.
Plentiful feed provided in a way it can't be spilled / ruined.
Leaving the coop door open all night for a week is like hosting a grand buffet of everyone's favorite food - Chicken. Yum.

That depends on a lot. How old will they baby then? Is the coop and run secure? How will the weather be? I've left my chickens for some time before but I have a secure run and keeps couple feeders that hold a 50lb bag of feed. They're also on an automated water system. I would never leave them in summer as we get to 120 easily and I need to check on them multiple times a day
They'll be about 2 months old when we leave. I read that as long as it's warm outside, they can be moved outside as soon as 4 weeks old but I plan to hopefully wait until 6 weeks. We live in the midwest and it shouldn't get above 90 degrees and won't get below 60. The coop is a sectioned off part inside a shed with a doggy door leading into a run that's a big dog pen. We plan to wrap hardware cloth around the run and nothing should be able to get to them through the shed. Our whole backyard is fenced in as well.

An *automatic* pop door on the coop and chickens old enough to use it reliably (it takes a while to learn to "go to bed" when it's getting dark, we still have to shoo our 6wk olds to bed).
Auto waterers, and/or large and plentiful water containers in different locations in case of spillage, forgetfulness of the check-in person, etc.
Leaving the coop door open all night for a week is like hosting a grand buffet of everyone's favorite food - Chicken. Yum.
The coop itself is a sectioned off part inside a large shed. The run is a big dog pen that we plan to wrap with hardware both. The yard is also fenced in. Does any of that make a difference? Do you think it would still be too easy for predators to get them? They'll be about 2 months old though so like you said they probably won't know when to go to bed by themselves for a while.

Also, is there a specific door you recommend?

Also, is there a specific door you recommend?
I would not leave 2 month old chicks alone, especially with an automatic door. I currently have 6 week old chicks outside with the big hens that go to bed when it's time but they were brooded in the coop and have the big girls to teach them. Yours are still going to be learning how to do things and one can get stuck outside once the door closes or get tuc under the door.

I don't trust those automatic doors at all

I would not leave 2 month old chicks alone, especially with an automatic door. I currently have 6 week old chicks outside with the big hens that go to bed when it's time but they were brooded in the coop and have the big girls to teach them. Yours are still going to be learning how to do things and one can get stuck outside once the door closes or get tuc under the door.

I don't trust those automatic doors at all
That was my concern with an automatic door. I don't want any of them to get locked out at night. Do you think if we found the right person to check on them (open up the coop in the morning, check on feed and water, and put them to bed at night) with a regular door, they'd be ok? Or do you think it's just a bad idea all around no matter what? We really can't cancel this trip but I definitely don't want to put them in danger.

That was my concern with an automatic door. I don't want any of them to get locked out at night. Do you think if we found the right person to check on them (open up the coop in the morning, check on feed and water, and put them to bed at night) with a regular door, they'd be ok? Or do you think it's just a bad idea all around no matter what? We really can't cancel this trip but I definitely don't want to put them in danger.
They should be fine if someone is checking on them. Just make sure you find someone you trust to really care for them (check the fod and water,make sure they're all there? Double check that the doors closed,ect)

They should be fine if someone is checking on them. Just make sure you find someone you trust to really care for them (check the fod and water,make sure they're all there? Double check that the doors closed,ect)
Thank you so much for the help! I just remembered I actually have a friend who owns a couple hens. If they're available they'd probably be the best person to look after them.

Back
Top Bottom