Can chickens choke on carrots

Nrelax11

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2021
So I went out this evening and saw an egg sitting on the ground in our mobile coop which was very unusual( nesting boxes are up above in the housing are). I went inside to grab the egg and right away saw one of chickens laying dead. It was so out of the blue. I had given them cut up carrots earlier and I'm thinking maybe she choked on one of them. It was also extremely windy today and I noticed a large branch next to the coop. Chickens get spooked easily, and who knows, maybe as she was eating the carrot, the branch fell and she inhaled her food. Can too large of carrot chunks be dangerous for chickens ?

Too large chunks of anything can be bad for them, they don’t have teeth and its harder for them to chew, so they rely on chemical digestion in the crop. Any other signs of chicken acting strange or any other notorious things you’ve found associated with the death?

Too large chunks of anything can be bad for them, they don’t have teeth and its harder for them to chew, so they rely on chemical digestion in the crop. Any other signs of chicken acting strange or any other notorious things you’ve found associated with the death?
They all appear to be very healthy. I haven't checked yet for mites or anything, but I didn't see any signs of bad health. I'm hoping it was just a freak accident.

You could always physically check- open her mouth and look down, feel her throat, etc.

I've seen birds gulp down pretty big mice before without a hitch but I'm sure anything's possible.
I looked down her mouth but couldn't see anything. Is it common for chickens to have heart attacks from being scared? I'm sure I'll never find out what happened to her, but I'll keep a close eye on the other. I check for mold in their feed, but it looked clean.

I looked down her mouth but couldn't see anything. Is it common for chickens to have heart attacks from being scared? I'm sure I'll never find out what happened to her, but I'll keep a close eye on the other. I check for mold in their feed, but it looked clean.
I've not particularly heard of it. We've had huge vehicles rip down the front road and loud machinery start up and all my birds never do much more than some anxious clucking.

If she was sensitive though, I'm sure it's possible, but I must admit I think it's unlikely.

Abrupt and sudden death has so many different reasons for happening, it's hard to pinpoint it without a necropsy, etc.

To be honest, I doubt. My chickens have been scared out of their minds before but they would just cluck and cluck so I don’t your girl would be scared by a branch while laying. If you really want to find the cause of death to prevent deaths of other birds or just know from curiosity, you can do a necropsy. they are autopsies for animals. I’ve never done one, so I don’t know much about it. Sorry for your loss.

I've not particularly heard of it. We've had huge vehicles rip down the front road and loud machinery start up and all my birds never do much more than some anxious clucking.

If she was sensitive though, I'm sure it's possible, but I must admit I think it's unlikely.

Abrupt and sudden death has so many different reasons for happening, it's hard to pinpoint it without a necropsy, etc.

I ask because when a ball has accidentally rolled into there mobile coop they all fly up in the air. I'm just going to assume that she choked for now, since it happened some time after I gave them the carrots. I knew I should have shredded them or just gave them the whole carrot to peck at.

Back
Top Bottom