Can chickens choke on carrots

I ask because when a ball has accidentally rolled into there mobile coop they all fly up in the air. I'm just going to assume that she choked for now, since it happened some time after I gave them the carrots. I knew I should have shredded them or just gave them the whole carrot to peck at.
I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Choking is pretty damn rare for a chicken and I would do the same thing- throwing chopped carrots to my birds. Accidents happen.

To be honest, I doubt. My chickens have been scared out of their minds before but they would just cluck and cluck so I don’t your girl would be scared by a branch while laying. If you really want to find the cause of death to prevent deaths of other birds or just know from curiosity, you can do a necropsy. they are autopsies for animals. I’ve never done one, so I don’t know much about it. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you. So sad finding a girl like that. She didn't even make it to one year. You put so much effort into them and then that happens. It could have been worse though. At least we still have 7 ladies left.

Thank you. So sad finding a girl like that. She didn't even make it to one year. You put so much effort into them and then that happens. It could have been worse though. At least we still have 7 ladies left.
Yeah. It is unfortunate to find chicken deaths especially when you work tirelessy on them. I know far too well. Just learn from your mistakes, it’s a process!

I ask because when a ball has accidentally rolled into there mobile coop they all fly up in the air. I'm just going to assume that she choked for now, since it happened some time after I gave them the carrots. I knew I should have shredded them or just gave them the whole carrot to peck at.
I have heard of people shred them or steam them first. I had a hen die last month and I still don't know why? It a bigger. Sorry

Last edited:
I give mine intact carrot tops with some of the actual carrot. If yours are willing to pick at whole carrots, that allows them to pick off pieces that are appropriate size to eat.

All that said, if you don't see any evidence of food caught in the throat, she probably did not choke on the carrot.

Back
Top Bottom