Can chickens eat dubia roaches?

Chicken101-07

Songster
Aug 18, 2019
Just as the name says it....can chickens eat dubia roaches?is there a choking hazard as the dubias are quite big and crunchy?I am also into arachnids and bought dubias to feed my 3 scorpions and a Tarantula and found out that dubias reproduce insanely quickly saying from how many i need as I usually only need 4 dubias every month or so,I have around 300 or 350 right now ,just a calculation as I'm not gonna count them all,I really dont have anything else to do with them other than euthanize a lot of roaches or feed them to the chickens,will they eat them,I've seen them cut smaller more edible pieces of large bugs like cicadas and crickets ,is it worth the risk or should I just stick with my superworms?I only use feeder insects in winter when all other insects are dead,thank you for helping me really appreciate it

Just as the name says it....can chickens eat dubia roaches?is there a choking hazard as the dubias are quite big and crunchy?I am also into arachnids and bought dubias to feed my 3 scorpions and a Tarantula and found out that dubias reproduce insanely quickly saying from how many i need as I usually only need 4 dubias every month or so,I have around 300 or 350 right now ,just a calculation as I'm not gonna count them all,I really dont have anything else to do with them other than euthanize a lot of roaches or feed them to the chickens,will they eat them,I've seen them cut smaller more edible pieces of large bugs like cicadas and crickets ,is it worth the risk or should I just stick with my superworms?I only use feeder insects in winter when all other insects are dead,thank you for helping me really appreciate it
I would imagine so. If it's something they don't like or shouldn't eat they won't eat it. My chickens have eaten very large grasshoppers from the back girls they usually break it down and eat it. Even my quail have had no trouble eating larger bugs. I would give them a few as a test to see if they like them.

I am sure they would love them! I have seen my birds take down some pretty big insects (snails, grasshoppers, ands our local roaches) with no problems. If the bug is on the big side they just peck or bash it around a bit to get smaller pieces. Easy peasy.

Just don’t tell my birds that yours are getting such nice treats! My girls would be jealous. In my house all the feeder bugs are reserved for my bearded dragon :p

I would've kept breeding superworms for chickens but I've got too many roaches already and my beetles need to breed since I'm in a short supply of superworms and really dont have anything else to do with them.
I am sure they would love them! I have seen my birds take down some pretty big insects (snails, grasshoppers, ands our local roaches) with no problems. If the bug is on the big side they just peck or bash it around a bit to get smaller pieces. Easy peasy.

Just don’t tell my birds that yours are getting such nice treats! My girls would be jealous. In my house all the feeder bugs are reserved for my bearded dragon :p

Last edited:
It should be fine to feed them. You could chill a handful to slow them down until the girls have a chance to learn they are good for eating. After that you should just be able to toss them to them or feed them in a smooth sided container the roaches can't escape from.

Off topic...but can somebody tell me what this are?I find them everytime I move the dirt in my garden in the summer ,I once managed to find a full cup,took me and my friend like 3 hours to find that many to see like 20 seconds of excitement in the coop lol
20190906_180522.jpg

This gave me more confidence he managed to tear it up in half by just slamming the poor worm around in the ground,rip poor worm
20190906_190420.jpg
20190906_190430.jpg

June bug larvae.:)
Off topic...but can somebody tell me what this are?I find them everytime I move the dirt in my garden in the summer ,I once managed to find a full cup,took me and my friend like 3 hours to find that many to see like 20 seconds of excitement in the coop lolView attachment 1900860

Back
Top Bottom