1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens eat eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PrinceSandwich, Jan 18, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Can chickens eat their own eggs? or is that going to cause disease or something?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Yes they can eat eggs. It is not recommended to feed them raw because you don't want to teach them to be eggeaters. Cooked is fine, and many people cook, crumble and feed the shells back to the chickens for the calcium.

Imp- does not cause disease

3. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:Yes they can eat eggs. It is not recommended to feed them raw because you don't want to teach them to be eggeaters. Cooked is fine, and many people cook, crumble and feed the shells back to the chickens for the calcium.

Imp- does not cause disease

Thanks for the info! [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What Imp said, plus eggs are a great source of protein for them. There is nothing cuter than watching a chick play keepaway from her brooder mates with a bit of hard boiled egg.

1 person likes this.
  5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    To add to what has been said:

A Chickens favorite food is Chicken! It ain't just eggs they eat;) saladin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by