Bloody Eggs

BankFam

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Hedgesville WV
One of my chickens has started laying eggs that look like this which brings a few questions to mind.

#1 Is it safe to eat?

#2 What causes this? Is something wrong with my chicken?

#3 Can I prevent it?

#4 What is the most practical way to determine which chicken is laying which eggs? Could I mark them with sharpie or something after a chicken lays?

Attachments

• IMG_20240129_081753835.jpg
    IMG_20240129_081753835.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 26
One of my chickens has started laying eggs that look like this which brings a few questions to mind.

#1 Is it safe to eat?

#2 What causes this? Is something wrong with my chicken?

#3 Can I prevent it?

#4 What is the most practical way to determine which chicken is laying which eggs? Could I mark them with sharpie or something after a chicken lays?
It's safe too eat.
A video that explains what causes that too happen.

Yes it's safe to eat but looks offputting, so you can remove the bloody area before or after cooking if you want.

Some birds are just more predispositioned to have inclusions in their eggs. You can use food dye or even lipstick around the vent to mark eggs, to figure out which birds are laying which eggs, if you want to avoid giving those eggs away or cooking them in certain ways (like sunny side up).

Yes it's safe to eat but looks offputting, so you can remove the bloody area before or after cooking if you want.

Some birds are just more predispositioned to have inclusions in their eggs. You can use food dye or even lipstick around the vent to mark eggs, to figure out which birds are laying which eggs, if you want to avoid giving those eggs away or cooking them in certain ways (like sunny side up).
The thought of applying lipstick to my chicken's vent is more off-putting than the blood spot. 😂😂😂
Thank you so much for the tips though. That will come in handy.

The thought of applying lipstick to my chicken's vent is more off-putting than the blood spot. 😂😂😂
Thank you so much for the tips though. That will come in handy.
Yeah I don't want to be putting stuff all over my chickens' vents!

Other way to match bird to egg is visual confirmation. If you have all the time in the world, just sit in there and watch them lay. Or check in every 10 minutes or so... if there's only one bird sitting in a nest box, and then an egg appears, that's still confirmation that that's the layer of that particular egg.

Back
Top Bottom