Can chickens eat figs?

Lol, you see no one in our family wants fresh figs for eating, they want them preserved by my grandmother first. We have a couple of young, small fig trees and only got a few off of them. Not enough to preserve, so I just wonder if it was safe enough to share with my girls. They are finicky eaters, so they may not eat them anyway.

That was fun watching them eat a fig for the first time! I went in the coop and held out the fig in my hand. At first they didn't know what to think of it. Sweet Baby took the first nibble, thus provoking the others. Big Girl grabbed the fig from my hand and ran off with it, and the chase began! :weeSomewhere along the line, Lazy Eyes ended up with it. :rolleyes:

I gave a second fig, and this time, held the fruit firmly in my hand. The girls piled around my hand all pulling off bites like little kids eating candy. One girl grabbed the remaining bite. So funny to watch! Thanks, everyone for reassuring me that figs are safe! My girls obviously loved their new-found treat! :pop

Large fig tree in my backyard. The chickens, squirrels, deer, crows, and other birds all love them. Fine with me. They can have'em. But to answer the OP's question, yes, figs are fine for the chickens. Mine get whatever drops to the ground and something else doesn't get to first.

Back
Top Bottom