can chickens eat grass? that i pull up and feed to them?

Chicken_Addict

Songster
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
Kellyville Oklahoma
ok i have been pulling grass and weeds everyday and feeding it to my chickens they loooove it ......is this okay for them? they have access to feed and grit 24/7 just wanted to make sure all green livig plants were safe for them
smile.png

absolutely!! My chickens love it when i am gardening, and swarm all around me. Chickens love grass and weeds and all the fresh bugs that come with it!
smile.png

Last edited:
You should make sure they have plenty of grit, or else snip it into small pieces so they don't get crop bound, They eat grass and weeds when they're out ranging on their own, but they nip off little pieces that are easy for them to digest. Long pieces can get stuck in their crop and cause problems sometimes, so be careful. But they do love greens, and so long as they're in smallish pieces, it's good for them.

smile.png

Last edited:
heck ya!!! My 2 yo son and 5 yo daughter will spend 80% of their time playing outside feeding the chickens grass through their run fence. It's really quite precious, especially when my SLW Roo gets ticked that someone other than him is providing for his girls!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom