can chickens eat Maggots??

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I moved a watering tub in the coop today and found tons of maggots under it, the chickens had obviously been pecking around the tub so there must have been more around it. there was only broken down stall pellets around and under the dish, no thing they could 'feed' on. The chickens went nuts on them after i moved the dish but I am worried about them eating them. I also have ducks in the pen.

are maggots safe for them to eat?
should i worry?
any chance of illness from them eating them??

i don't understand why they were there, I have never seen any before or any signs of them before, not even under the big watering tub. could the pellets be the cause??

yes chickens can eat maggots, good protein source for them. I've read on here were some people even make blood/ofal buckets
sickbyc.gif
to lure flies/create maggots as a food source.

flies like poop so could have drawn them.

Chickens love maggots!
In the wilds they would eat bugs and grubs so it's completely natural.
There shouldn't be a chance of illness from the maggots or getting sick.

i dont think chickens can eat maggots my mother said that if the maggots are alive they will eat the chickens insides and end ip killing the chicken
P.S pirate is my roster phoenix breed and he only has 1 eye

i dont think chickens can eat maggots my mother said that if the maggots are alive they will eat the chickens insides and end ip killing the chicken
P.S pirate is my roster phoenix breed and he only has 1 eye

I feed my chickens grubs I dig up in the yard and pet store.live meal worms and wax worms I buy from my local

Back
Top Bottom