Can Chickens Eat Nuts or Raisins?

I agree.

In fact, I just recently bought some different kinds of canned fish for my girls to try and one of them was sardines. They had a name brand on sale for $1/can but I made sure to pay a little more for another brand that specifically said no salt added. It's also in water and happens to be wild caught and sustainably harvested/certified friend of the sea but i didnt notice that till after. I just wanted no salt added cause i figured the salt was probably bad for them. I did get one of the $1 ones but I'll probably give it to the dog. Might not be good for him either but he's a lot bigger. And it wasn't that much more, i think it was somewhere between $2 and $3 but worth it for the health of no salt

Thanks for the great advice about feeding dried fruit as in sultanas and raisins.
Many animals will eat things which aren’t good for them. Grapes dried as in sultanas are toxic to dogs so is chocolate yet they love both.
I am reluctant to feed my two chickens, Thelma and Louise anything unless I can be absolutely sure it won’t cause health issues in the future, like kidney disease. Is there anyone out there with veterinary advice to say I can give my gorgeous chickens dried grapes, whether soaked or not. Thanks hope someone can help.

I have always been told by bird experts that wild birds of any sort should not be given salt or coconut in their diet. I would assume that our chooks are the same. I never give mine anything salty.i feel i would want to risk my girls xxx

There is way too much salt in processed foods for us, and our body mass is much greater than a chicken's. I wouldn't give mine anything that has added salt. I don't even care much for it myself.
sickbyc.gif
Actually, check your feed bag. Added salt. Almost certainly.

That said, "salty snacks" for us have too much added salt. Its not the ingredient that's the problem, its the quantity. Same with fat in their feed, or carbs, or most of the other things that get added to chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom