Can Chickens eat pumpkins?

chickgirl17

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Can chickens eat pumpkins or will it make them sick??just wondering because we have a pumpkin and was wondering if it will keep them busy...
Thanks
chickgirl17

Chickens love pumpkins and the seeds are a natural wormer for them. I just quarter mine and set them in the chicken runs.

My girls love pumpkin. In fact they will be getting one this weekend.
lol.png

Just ask my girls!!1 They love pumpkin. I break them open, scoop out the seeds, ( run those thru the food processor). the girls will clean the pumpkin til only the outside skin is all that's left. The seeds were too big for them to eat and once ground were instantly consumed.
smile.png

Mine love them. I just cut them in half (with an ax) and place in the run. I don't do anything special with the seeds. They don't seem to have any trouble with them.

I save the seeds from winter squash and grind them up with high-protein table scraps to make "chicken treat." I freeze it in sandwich baggies, about 1/2 cup per. They love it when I give it to them warmed up on a cold day, with a little bit of kids' leftovers from breakfast for chunks on top.

I'm lazy I guess...I give them the whole pumpkin! They peck a hole through the side, and dive for seeds. When they have finished the seeds, they peck more of the pumpkin open and eat the meat, too.

Back
Top Bottom