Can chickens eat stems of (Kousa dogwood) berries?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
My Kousa dogwood has berries now. I have researched and know that the berries are edible (for humans and chickens). However they drop from the tree with their stems attached. So my chickens gobble down the berries with the stems! Do you think it'll cause any issues? I've tried to catch them to pull the stems off before they eat them 😄 but its just not practical to get them all.
Stems are about 3" long.

Attachments

• 20220917_080516.jpg
    20220917_080516.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
So my chickens gobble down the berries with the stems! Do you think it'll cause any issues?
At first I was gonna say nothing to worry about, before seeing the photo.

The general rule of thumb for yard clippings is under 4 inches.. in order to avoid possible crop conditions.. like impacted or sour. I've used longer straw/hay, etc.. than that without issue.. BUT it's good to be aware of the possibilities.

Even when I was sprouting/growing (barley) fodder.. the birds learned to pick JUST the seed off the bottom of the blade of grass! (when it was plenty and not just novel) :he

Ultimately.. I would probably still choose not to worry too much.. but maybe do some morning crop checks before feed and water are given to ensure the stems are passing (IF you are concerned). And also check/monitor crop function first if anyone is noticed with decreased appetite, increased thirst, or lethargy.. All of which *can* be signs of diminished crop function.

Mostly I still expect no issues but cannot guarantee it and so have noted the most probable possible concerns. (presuming/accepting your statement of safety is accurate and based on mechanics alone).

Preemptive read on crop diagnosis and treatment, should you ever need it..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Those do look lovely and tasty! Hope this helps. :)

At first I was gonna say nothing to worry about, before seeing the photo.

The general rule of thumb for yard clippings is under 4 inches.. in order to avoid possible crop conditions.. like impacted or sour. I've used longer straw/hay, etc.. than that without issue.. BUT it's good to be aware of the possibilities.

Even when I was sprouting/growing (barley) fodder.. the birds learned to pick JUST the seed off the bottom of the blade of grass! (when it was plenty and not just novel) :he

Ultimately.. I would probably still choose not to worry too much.. but maybe do some morning crop checks before feed and water are given to ensure the stems are passing (IF you are concerned). And also check/monitor crop function first if anyone is noticed with decreased appetite, increased thirst, or lethargy.. All of which *can* be signs of diminished crop function.

Mostly I still expect no issues but cannot guarantee it and so have noted the most probable possible concerns. (presuming/accepting your statement of safety is accurate and based on mechanics alone).

Preemptive read on crop diagnosis and treatment, should you ever need it..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Those do look lovely and tasty! Hope this helps. :)
Thank you for the reply. I only have 4 girls and spend a lot of time with them so I am able to do morning crop checks everyday. I'll continue to keep an eye on them as you mentioned.
I do see that my girls try to shake/batter the berries to break it up or remove the stems. But they are attached on really good so shaking won't remove them.
Yea, the berries are akin to strawberries. That pic isn't even of the ripe ones which look very juicy. I'm going to go pick some and try it myself in fact!

Back
Top Bottom