Can chickens eat the bugs found under logs/stuff

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
So I lifted up a log to clean up the coop and somehow a rat died under it and maggots were everywhere. So I scream and run away but the chickens being the perfect exterminators they are they all just ran up and ate everything. Yes I got rid of the rat immediately before they could even peck at it and yes the coop is clean and everything

:drool yummy. I would say it's OK, but
I'd not eat the eggs from them for a couple of days if I saw my hens do that. :sick
But who knows what they come across while free ranging. GC

Chickens can contract botulism from eating maggots.
Never heard that not saying your wrong, But I know of some folks that have been feeding and using those kind of dispensers for along time. I don't use them not wanting to attract any more flies, but never tried to stop my birds from eating them if opportunity arises.

Last edited:
Never heard that not saying your wrong, But I know of some folks that have been feeding and using those kind of dispensers for along time. I don't use them but never tried to stop my birds from eating them if opportunity arises.
I think this is probably what Mandrogora is referring to:
https://poultry.extension.org/artic...botulism when,have been in infected carcasses.

At the end of the day you just have to weigh out the pros/cons and what you're okay with. If we're getting technical anything can make you sick given the right circumstances even water🤷

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom