Can chickens eat the Chia Pet?

gabbyscritters

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
fredonia, wi
Ok, everyone can my daughters chickens snack on her Chia Pet?
big_smile.png

We looked up what type of plant seeds you grow in these silly containers, Salvia columbariae.

Are they safe to let the chickens eat the green sprouts off of scooby doos head?
lol.png

Feeding & Watering Your Flock » homemade Purina flock block

Post #251 mentions feeding chia seed to their hens. Sorry I don't have the active link but cut and pasted only.

Quote:
Yes, of course if they like it they will demolish it! They made short work of the block of wheat sprouts we grew for them last week so we know what the end result will be!
Question still is, do these particular Salvia columbariae plants present any danger to them?

Note this about chia seeds.

They are very nutrious with many benefits for ppl and chickens. The raw seeds will absorb 9 times their weight in water so should anyone feed the raw seeds to their chickens wet them first to absorb water.

Chia seeds can be used by people that are trying to lose weight as they make you fill fuller so you don't eat as much.

I eat 2 TBSP of chia seeds daily. One of the best super foods out there loaded with omega, potassium, magnesium, fiber, vitamin b's, ect.... They help with weight loss and speed up your metabolism. I buy mine in 6lb bags on amazon.

Well, I guess if people are eating the seeds the chickens should not die.
Daughter just loves to grow plants and also feed treats to her chickens, whats better than growing your own spouts. She got a sprout kit from Santa, she is thrilled.
She just gor thinking today when she was preparing her scooby chia pet that she could let her girls eat it when its all sprouted and then regrow scooby again!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom