Can chickens eat the Chia Pet?

Let's issue a chia chicken.
D.gif

lol.png

I have a huge confession.....
Iam a huge Scooby Doo fan!!....

I have been looking in the Walmarts and Walgreens around here for Chia Scooby Doos for ever...
I agree that these would be a good snack for the girls to nosh on.

I eat chia seeds myself as a superfood. I buy it by the 6 pound packages. Unfortunately, the price hiked way up 3 months ago by $20. I was quite bummed.

I'll continue to eat them. They are great for your body and keep you healthy. I eat the seeds in my cereal bowl and no other way. I can't eat them gelled up, Bleh!

My chickens LOVE chia! I have been soaking about two teaspoons for my five hens overnight. I just pour it onto the ground and they RUN towards it. It's gone in minutes!

The mineral, omega 3 and protein content makes these an ideal snack.

I have not tried feeding them sprouts, but I'm sure they would love it.

I tried growing chia as fodder for my chickens. If I planted them in dirt, it would probably work, but just soaking and growing them as sprouts was a total bust. They absorbed a lot of water and turned into goo. Then they got slimy and moldy.

I may plant some in the spring in a patch of the garden. I've turned to barley to grow fodder.

I'm curious how spreading the chia seeds on the "pet" gets them to grow without becoming moldy. Do you mix the seed with any kind of "starter" when you spread it on Bob Ross's or Scooby's head? I wonder if that has any kind of mold inhibitor?

And yeah, I got the "Ch-ch-ch-chia" song stuck in my head on a daily basis. :gig

Back
Top Bottom