Can chickens egg colours/shapes change?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thisistasha, Oct 12, 2016.

1. thisistasha

thisistasha New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Hi all.

I have two chickens. One is a Belgian d'uccle and the other us an unknown breed (we adopted her from a neighbour who refused to come and get her after she jumped the fence). She's a small black-feathered bird with feathered feet. They're probably about 2-3ish years old. The black one used to lay small roundish, slightly pinkish eggs. The d'uccle used to lay slightly smaller, pure white eggs with I guess you'd call them pointed (?) tops.

At the moment we're getting small, roundish, pure white eggs, and smaller slightly pinkish, pointed eggs...

It's as if they've switched colours or shapes. I haven't worked out who's laying which because they don't lay in their coop. Instead they lay in any or a few places throughout the yard (makes for fun egg hunting).

I's it possible for them to have switched or altered slightly their colour/shape?

[​IMG]

The two I'm referring to are on the left. Sadly the third is no longer with us.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Egg colour does not change...The shape can change...If a Hen lays white eggs, she will always lay white eggs..

Cheers!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Change of diet or environment can change the eggs. Eggshells get brittle or thicker. Or the eggs lose their smooth texture and get all lumpy and bumpy. Older hens may start laying eggs that might have a slight change of shape and color. And then you get the super weird egg that really raise eyebrows and leave us wondering how on earth did that hen lay that egg. Most people notice hens who lay dark eggs as young pullets start to produce lighter colored eggs as they age. I had a hen who started laying what I can only describe as a two-tone swirl. I also had a hen lay plum colored eggs that eventually lightened to pink as she grew older.

Things can and do change in the egg-making facility in the older hen. Some develop serious problems and some grow to be old ladies who become excellent gardeners. As long as they are happy, I leave them alone.

Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by