can chickens find their way home?

crystal94040

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
I live in a residential neighborhood and I have 6 chickens in my good sized backyard. actually my backyard is SO big I have 2 extremely large pens, one for the chickens, and one for the dogs. I let the chickens out at about 2pm to free range around. At about 4pm I went to check on them and 1 is gone. I looked everywhere, she is gone...can find her around the neighborhood either.
I checked the dog "just incase" but the dogs didn't get her....she just walked off somewhere...I found a place where she may have went under the fence...some bad storms eroded a little ditch and I have yet to refill it....I think thats how she got out...anyway....
will she come back? or is she as good as gone unless someone else bring her home?
we are out looking of course but I'm actually on modified bedrest so I can't really do much other than what I am now
hmm.png

I know cats come home...lol
any one know if a chicken will? how far should we look...it's only been a few hours???

Oh no! I am new to this and I am nervous for when mine do get to go outside. It should be this weekend! I hope you find her soon and will be thinking of you(and her). Be sure and post to let us know. Good luck!

YAY! that was quick! The neighbor just found her, her dog went after her but the neighbor got her first
big_smile.png

So ThunderChicken's little escape is OVER!
Isaiah is celebrating with snuggles and feeding her his pizza crust lol
I'm so happy for him, he LOVES her so much
big_smile.png

I really thought she was a goner!

Quote:
even in a residential neighborhood? with the maze of fences and how the houses all look similar??

They should not travel too far from their coop. If you live close to neighbors who won't like chickens roaming in their yards, it's probably best to keep them cooped. Every now and then one will hop the fence to your yard and go into a neighbor's. Chickens are smarter than we give them credit for though...they usually remember their way home - granted they have been kept in the coop long enough to recognize it as their home. You can't just buy a chicken and let it go expecting that it will come back;)

I should also mention that it is very likely something else may have gotten to her. In that case, she will probably not be returning, especially if she was injured.

Back
Top Bottom