Can chickens get drunk

Lady Rose

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
balearics
Well I am seriously wondering?
I have loads of chickens and at the moment I have one rooster that is acting very weird.
They are in an orchard below the house and at the moment there are plums dropping to the ground.
I saw a thing on Tv once about animals in Africa getting drunk from eating fruit that fell to the ground?

My pullets used to peck at the wine in my glass when I was sitting in the run with them (before I wised up about their partying ways), and they were okay...

Anything can get drunk...once blended.
wink.png

I searched for this thread because I am about to give my birds some rotten grapes. I set them aside in a bowl, thinking I would juice them, then my fridge went out, so I put them in a cooler in the garage (very cold) and was actually thinking I had dumped them. I'm hoping that, split between 20 birds, they will not get inebriated...

Do you think it will loosen them up so more eggs fall out?
wink.png

I've wondered the same thing as I feed the last of the fermented feed that's been sitting there for over a week....smells kinda nice if you stick your head in the bucket....a little, um, whiskey-ish! Is that why the rooster is smiling?! And yes, the eggs do fall out better - mine have been laying 3/day (of 6 layers) despite bitter cold weather. Gotta love those Java's!

Back
Top Bottom