1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens get Parvo?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lulumammato2, May 10, 2011.

1. lulumammato2

lulumammato2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I just picked up the sweetest little puppy yesterday from the coweta animal shelter, the lady told me they didn't have a vet to come around and do shots so I needed to take him in. Well we just got back from the vet and I am so upset because Zoomer may have parvo. Ive got 6 chickens and now i'm stuck wondering what to do with this poor little dog, I realy don't want my chickens to get it and i'm so mad at the shelter for giving away a dog like this, they had to have known because she only mentioned the dog was vomiting as we were walking out with him. UGH I am sooooo upset not to mention $110 poorer, what to do?

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    First [​IMG] so sorry about your puppy I don't think chickens can get parvo. I hope your puppy makes a full recovery.

3. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] so sorry about the puppy, hope he makes a full recovery. Shame on that shelter, what an unethical thing to do!!!
    Don't have a clue about chickens getting parvo...

4. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    chickens can't get parvo. But parvo is a strong virus that can stay alive on surfaces for years, infecting other dogs that come along later. Mix up a solution of 1 cup of bleach per gallon of water and spray the yard, anywhere the pup walked. Also clean the household surfaces with it.

I HATE it when people let you take home sick animals. I am euthanizing my chicks today because someone sold them to me sick. That's just plain WRONG.

5. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree, google research indicates PARVO is a virus that affects mammals not birds. That said, chickens can attract predators like coyotes, fox, racoons, possums, etc...which can all be PARVO carriers. Of course you knew that...but just thot I would add that.

Good Luck with the puppy...I love dogs, I have 5 jack russells (3 of them are 3 month old puppies) see my BYC page for pics of them checking out the chickens if interested! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by