Can chickens get sunstroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by loverOFchickens, Jul 7, 2010.

1. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    I have one that is acting kinda slow and not drinking very much. It also shakes it's head frequently but it can't be ear infection from the water cause' it can't get it's head that deep in the water. It doesn't keep it's eyes wide open. The other one in the cage looks fine. Any ideas on what is wrong? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have had many a dehydrated chicken...but the headshaking thing sounds more like an illness. Ear infections are rarely caused by water in the ear canal.

Perhaps a good picture of the sick bird will help?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You know, it could be overheated. Try sprinkling your hen with the hose to cool it off. I know it's in the 90s here in Ohio, and very humid. We've gotta make sure my hens have lots of water--I even fill cool whip tubs with water and freeze them, so they make giant ice cubes.

If you're not too persnickity, and you have a/c, you could put your chicken in a little cage in the basement to see if that makes a difference.

Good luck!
    Sharon

4. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    I just moved them into the basement and it looks a little perkier. Still not drinking tho. I added electrolights to it's water just in case. It kept scaring me to death by laying like a dead bird. [​IMG]
    I forgot to mention that it also (besides waving it's head) opens and closes it's beak. It is not panting like it is hot it is more like a person grinding their teeth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by